setplus Simple Text Editor is a lightweight in-browser editor for typesetting HTML content. setplus can either be used as a stand-alone script or as an editor plug-in with the Joomla content management system. In contrast to popular editors whose size is approximately 1-2 MB, the total installer package of setplus amounts to 100 KB.
- style text in bold and italic, add superscript and subscript
- insert hyperlink and image specifying properties in a dialog box (e.g. link target, image alternate text)
- insert Unicode symbol
- structure text using different basic styles: paragraph, heading level 1 to 6, preformatted text
- add ordered and unordered lists
- align text left, center, right, indent and outdent text
- undo and redo support in all browsers, optional cut, copy and paste support in Internet Explorer
- spell-check as you type with browsers that have built-in spellchecker
- zoom in and out
- view source mode with syntax-highlighted code
- extremely low footprint (minified script size of a few kilobytes, only one script and one style file for basic functionality, incremental script inclusion)
- cross-browser compatibility (supports Internet Explorer 8+, Firefox 3+, Chrome, Opera)
- built on the MooTools framework (no extra footprint in the Joomla CMS system)
- licensed under GNU/GPL
Usage with the Joomla CMS system
setplus installs with the standard Joomla installer mechanism. In the administration back-end, click Extensions / Install/Uninstall, browse your computer's file system for the setplus distribution package and install it by clicking the Upload file & install button.
Usage as stand-alone script
setplus automatically transforms div and textarea HTML elements annotated with the class setplus into interactive rich text editor frames when the page loads. The contents of a div element are transferred to the editor as HTML content, while the text between the tags of a textarea element is interpreted as HTML source for editable text.
The following references are required in the page head section:
The setplus style sheet file:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/levente/setplus/css/setplus.css" type="text/css" />
The latest version of the MooTools Core library:
The setplus script file:
If setplus finds Drag included from MooTools More (automatically included by the Joomla CMS system), all user interface dialogs will become movable.
Example: editor from a div element
<div class="setplus><em>HTML content</em> for the editor</div>
Example: editor from a textarea element
<textarea><b>HTML source for the editor</b></textarea>
A live demo illustrates setplus features.